Monday, February 14, 2011

Red Velvet Gobs with Cream Cheese Filling & Strawberry Gobs with Marshmellow Cream

Happy Valentines Day! I whipped up these for my Valentine treat! I wanted to be festive, and the hubby loves Red Velvet, and I wanted to make gobs (aka whoopie pies). I choose red velvet with cream cheese filling and strawberry with marshmellow filling. I thought the pink and red would be super cute! 

I adapted this cake mix recipe for both of them:
  • One box cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 4oz box instant pudding mix
Beat all ingredients until mixed well. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. I used an average cookie scoop, and they took around 13 minutes, if you want bigger gobs adjust your cooking time!

For the red velvet, I used one Red Velvet cake mix, and one instant chocolate pudding mix. I used a simple cream cheese recipe:
  • 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter (softened)
  • about 2-4 cups powdered sugar (depending on how thick of a frosting you like)
  • 1 tsp vanilla

For the Strawberry Gobs I used one box of strawberry cake mix, and one box of strawberry cream instant pudding. I added a few drops of red food coloring to make the batter a little more pink! For the filling:
  • One 7 oz container marshmellow fluff
  • 1 1/2 sticks of butter
  • about 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Again, add more sugar for a thicker frosting, add a tablespoon of milk if your frosting gets too thick.

 These bake up to be a thin, cake like cookie, which was yummy but not the typical thickness of a gob cake. My valentine treats did inculde some short cuts (aka cheating!) like cake mixes, but for a fun festive treat i let it slide! The winner?? Both were a big hit with the hubby and family, but I think the red velvet ended up with more votes!

1 comment:

  1. I assume that you don't have to grease your pan or anything?

    ReplyDelete